Fairfield University was among the recipients of the Associated Builders and Contractors Connecticut Chapter 2023 Excellence in Construction Award.
The Connecticut Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors (CT ABC) has recognized Fairfield University among its 2023 Excellence in Construction Award winners for its new 85,000-square-foot Leo D. Mahoney Arena. The Construction Excellence Awards program honors the state’s most innovative, high-quality Merit Shop* construction projects and the teams behind them. The awards ceremony was held last month at the Aqua Turf Club in Southington, Connecticut.
Led by Vice President of Facilities, Campus and Ancillary Services David Frassinelli, the team that designed and built Mahoney Arena included Centerbrook Architects and Gilbane Building Company.
The CT ABC 2023 Excellence in Construction Award winners (and presenting companies) are as follows:
- Arrigoni Bridge rehabilitation and St. John’s Square intersection improvements – Mohawk Northeast, Inc
- Belemo Americas Expansion Project – Macri Associates
- Bradley International Airport Ground Transportation Center – KBE Construction Company
- Faculty housing – La Rosa Construction Group LLC
- Fairfield University Conference Center – Modern Mechanical Systems Company
- Grand Avenue Bridge Rehabilitation – Mohawk Northeast, Inc
- Hole in the Wall Gang Camp Arts and Crafts Building – Associated construction company
- Miss Porters Sarah Lynn – EA Quinn Landscape Contracting
- Russell Church in Indian Hill – Kronenberger & Sons Restoration, LLC.
- The Vero in Orange – KBE Construction Company
- Al-Sharafa Street Bridge Replacement – Cyanpro company
Mahoney Arena, which opened in fall 2022 and replaces Alumni Hall, is home to Fairfield’s Division I basketball and volleyball programs and serves as a meeting center for university and community events.
About Associated Builders and Contractors of Connecticut:
* Associated Builders and Contractors of Connecticut (CT ABC) is a membership association representing Merit Shop contractors. Merit Shop Contractors represents more than 80% of the construction industry in Connecticut and 86% of the industry nationwide. As an affiliate of ABC National, its more than 220 members are given an active voice in the political system at the local, state and federal levels.
Merit Shop is free enterprise – the belief that all construction contracts should be awarded to the lowest qualified bidder responsible on merit, regardless of a company’s non-union or union affiliation. CT ABC was founded in 1976 as a chapter of the Associated National Builders and Contractors, however, it originally began in 1972 as part of the 112-member Yankee Chapter.