Peoria County’s new Health and Human Services building is progressing on schedule and on budget, according to Peoria County Administrator Scott Sorrell.
Peoria County announced the new building in 2021, which will house four different county offices.
Here’s what you need to know about Peoria County’s new Health and Human Services building.
Where is the new Peoria County Health and Human Services building located?
The new building is located at 2116 N. Sheridan Road in Peoria, the same location as the old Health Department building.
When will the new Health and Human Services building open?
Construction of the new building is on schedule, and the project is still expected to be completed in late 2024.
Sorrell said the project’s “first two major milestones” have been completed, demolishing the old health department buildings and preparing the site for foundation work.
The next steps in construction will be laying foundations, underground utilities and ongoing construction work, Sorrell said.
“Then you’ll start to see some panels coming in,” Sorrell said. “We’re still on schedule, but if you pass by Sheridan, you probably won’t see a lot of activity for several more weeks. But once the building starts popping out of the ground, it’s going to pop up pretty quickly.”
Sorrell said project managers are very confident they will close the building before winter weather hits the area.
more:Stunning views and luxurious pools: the most expensive homes sold in Peoria County in August
Where are the temporary locations for Ministry of Health services?
While the new building is under construction, some Peoria County Health and Human Services are housed in temporary homes.
- General Information and Administration: Peoria County Courthouse, 324 Main Street, Peoria.
- Births and Deaths Records: Peoria County Coroner: 506 E Seneca Place, Peoria.
- Dental Clinic: 3521 N. California Ave., Peoria.
- WIC: 3521 N. California Ave., Peoria.
- Pediatric Immunizations and Lead Testing: 3521 N. California Ave., Peoria.
- Clinical Services: Heartland Health Services Human Service Center, 228 NE Jefferson St., Peoria.
- Environmental Health Program Safe Homes Program: Peoria County Highway Department, 6915 W. Plank Road, Peoria.
- Heartland OB Screenings and Central Pregnancy: Heartland Health Services in Carver: 711 W. John Gwynn Ave., Peoria.
- Peoria County Board of Health Meetings: North Branch Peoria Public Library, 3001 W. Grand Parkway, Peoria.
- Peoria County Care and Treatment Board Meetings: Peoria County Courthouse Conference Room, 324 Main Street, Peoria.
How much will a new Health and Human Services building in Peoria cost?
The project’s “challenging” construction cost is $18.7 million. When all is said and done, the total cost will be $22.3 million.
Peoria County will use $13.8 million in American Rescue Plan Act funds for the project.
What will be in the new Health and Human Services building in Peoria?
The new building will integrate several offices into it:
The new building will include a “state-of-the-art” morgue for the coroner, Sorrell said.
He added that people coming to the new building will also find the “customer reception” process more efficient and centralized.
“The old buildings were actually a patchwork. They started as one small building in the 1950s and were added to several times. The second building was built and there was actually a tunnel between the two that ran under the road.” Sorel said. “That building was already gone. It was ineffective for how services are provided today.”
more:A new grocery store is preparing to open in Bartonville. Here’s what you should know